619,620 TUTOR: Steve Gaskin (BSc (Hons), PGCE, PG Cert Mngt)
Have you ever wondered what happens in the mind of a murderer? Why do they kill, is it instinctive or environmental? This course will take you on a unique and interactive journey delivered by former Scotland Yard detectives with a specialism in forensic psychology. From psychopaths to serial killers, offender profiling to the psychology of aggression, you will look at all aspects of criminal behaviour and assess your own personality. Would you make a great murder detective? You will examine famous cases from a totally different angle and even get the opportunity to write an offender profile on Jack the Ripper.
- Course Introduction. What is forensic psychology and how does this assist investigative organisations solve serious crime?
- The psychology of aggression and violence
- The nature of psychopaths and the "dark triad”
- You will apply and discuss psychopathic traits to well-known serial killers
- Exploration of other personality types and criminal behaviour (with an optional confidential personality profile assessment on self)
- Personality types and behaviours - would you make a great detective?
- Examine criminal behaviours against a case study of some British Serial Killers
- Offender Profiling-developments in the US and UK.
- Examine a series of geographical crime maps and deduce the type of offender behaviour
- Construct an offender profile of Jack The Ripper using original source material
- Using all elements of the course carry out a full murder investigation.
- Course summary and conclusions
Pen and paper, Internet ready phone, tablet or laptop
Steve had the privilege of being a Detective Chief Inspector in the Metropolitan Police for 25 years. He has investigated all kinds of serious crime including murder, terrorism, serious drug trafficking and lots of other crimes.
He is a graduate of the Institute of Police and Criminological studies. He holds a degree in forensic psychology and policing.
Steve holds a Post Graduate
Certificate of Education and is a Fellow of the Institute of Leadership and
He is also an advisor to BBC's crime drama Silent Witness. In addition, he enjoys being a visiting lecturer at City University in Central London.
All courses run for 5 days
WK 1 11 Jul - 15 Jul
WK 2 18 Jul - 22 Jul
WK 3 25 Jul - 29 Jul
WK 4 1 Aug - 5 Aug
9.15AM to 12.15PM
1.45PM to 4.30PM
All Day Courses
9.15AM to 4.30PM